Last Friday the CICA held a briefing about the implications of the impending EU General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR). This single law would apply to the entire European continent as well as any businesses outside of Europe who handle European citizens data. The regulation is set to take effect May 25th, 2018 of this year. Our panel of experts discussed what this means for not only American companies but also challenges the idea that personal data is no longer a form of currency and individuals have rights to protect their data.
– Kelly DeMarchis Bastide, Partner, Venable (Bio)
– Melanie Bates, Director of Communications, Future of Privacy Forum, Moderator (Bio)
– Aymeric Dupont, Counsellor-Delegation of the European Union to the United States (Bio)
– Mike Godwin, Director of Innovation Policy and General Counsel, Distinguished Senior Fellow, R Street Institute (Bio)
– Joe Jerome, Policy Counsel, Center for Democracy & Technology (Bio)